On this episode, we are pleased to have Henry Gordon-Smith of Agritecture joining our own Chief Technology Officer, Matt Liotta and VP of Horticulture and Customer Success, David Kessler.
Henry Gordon-Smith is the co-founder of the Association of Vertical Farming, and Founder of Agritecture, a consulting firm specializing in helping entrepreneurs with vertical farming and urban agriculture. Learn about where vertical farming has been and where it’s going in this episode.
Takeaways for Going Vertical:
- VFUs are about height, they should be at least 2 levels.
- VFUs’ 3 dimensional model helps maximizes space.
- Heat rises, therefore humidity levels and temperature fluctuations need to be taken into consideration.
- To solve this problem, growers use horizontal airflow fans, floor fans and heaters.
- There is a labor gap in the cannabis industry. People have to be trained to understand the cannabis industry and its many facets.
- Data, experience, knowing your approach, and being familiar with the facility is crucial for your business and growth.
- A global survey concluded 40% of operators had 0 agriculture experience before developing the facility.
- Precision control of environment is important and is a leading factor safe and consistent production.
- It is helpful to install chambers in large spaces. Chambers allow for better pest mitigation management, air control, precision, faster rate of change, and optimizes labor.